Vertical Hummingbird is an American multi-purpose civilian helicopter developed by Vertical Aviation Technologies in 1991.
The development of the Vertical Hummingbird model aircraft began by American aircraft manufacturers in the second half of the 80s of the last century, while the helicopter design was partially borrowed from the Sikorsky S-52 model helicopter, which received great support both in the military and civilian spheres its application.
During the development of the Vertical Hummingbird helicopter, the designers made significant changes in the appearance of the aircraft, providing it with an improved aerodynamic shape, which in turn gave the helicopter high maneuverability and the ability to accelerate to fairly high flight speeds.
The Vertical Hummingbird helicopter was first introduced to the general public in 1991, and from almost the same period it began to be mass-produced. Aircraft were manufactured by American manufacturers of Vertical Aviation Technologies exclusively as self-assembly kits by future owners, which inherently reduced the cost of the aircraft, although it required several skills in assembling the aircraft, as well as additional time.
The Vertical Hummingbird helicopter is a multifunctional aircraft capable of carrying on board both people and small cargoes with a total weight, taking into account the pilot’s weight and possible passengers, up to 431 kilograms, taking into account that the aircraft should be used exclusively in the private sector of civil aviation, was quite acceptable.
The power plant of the aircraft model Vertical Hummingbird includes one six-cylinder aircraft engine brand Lycoming IVO-435, capable of developing a thrust of 265 hp, which depends mainly on the modification of the aircraft. The maximum flight distance of a Vertical Hummingbird helicopter is 605 kilometers, while the helicopter can overcome it at a cruising speed of 160 km \ h, which depends on the power plant used and the modification of the aircraft.
- Vertical VAT S-52-3 – prototype aircraft;
- Vertical Hummingbird 260L – the basic production version of the helicopter, equipped with an aircraft engine brand Lycoming IVO-435, with a capacity of 260 hp.;
- Vertical Hummingbird 300L – a modernized version, equipped with an aircraft engine Lycoming IO-540, with a capacity of 300 hp.;
- Vertical Hummingbird 300LS – An improved version of the helicopter, equipped with a more productive power plant with a thrust of 325 hp.
- Crew: 1 person;
- Capacity: 3 people;
- The length of the helicopter: 9.3 m. (Depending on version);
- The height of the helicopter: 2.62 m. (Depending on version);
- The diameter of the rotor: 10.06 m. (Depending on version);
- Empty helicopter mass: 839 kg. (Depending on version);
- Maximum take-off weight: 1270 kg. (Depending on version);
- Cruising speed: 160 km \ h. (Depending on version);
- Maximum flight speed: 195 km \ h. (Depending on version);
- Maximum flight range: 605 km .;
- Maximum flight height: 4270 m.;
- Powerplant: Lycoming IVO-435 (depending on version);
- Power: 265 hp (Depending on version).