Sud-Ouest Ariel is a lightweight French multi-purpose helicopter designed and developed by Sud-Ouest in 1947.
The design of the helicopter began in the early 40s of the last century, however, due to the outbreak of hostilities of the Second World War in France, only the aircraft design was drawn up, while it began to be created only in 1945.
Initially, the aircraft model Sud-Ouest Ariel was positioned by French aircraft manufacturers as an experimental aircraft, however, since the helicopter had a clear prospect, its production was subsequently deployed, we are talking about an exclusively single issue.
The aerodynamic and compact design of the fuselage of the Sud-Ouest Ariel helicopter provides the aircraft with sufficiently high maneuverability, while the aircraft also had a high speed of movement, which should have made it very popular. Nevertheless, because this aircraft could not be operated as a military aircraft, and the helicopter simply could not find potential customers in the civilian aviation sector, the project could not enter the series.
The first flight tests of the Sud-Ouest Ariel helicopter took place in 1947, while the project was able to complete them, however, the aircraft needed more careful development, and therefore, two years later, French aircraft manufacturers from the company Sud-Ouest presented an improved modification, which had improved control, higher maneuverability, and increased flight speed.
Depending on the modification of the aircraft, onboard the helicopter Sud-Ouest Ariel can accommodate two to three people, including one crew member and 1-2 passengers. If necessary, the helicopter can also be used for transporting small loads, performing patrol and observation flights, etc. It was assumed that the helicopter will also receive a paired control system, which would allow it to be used as a training tool for training future pilots, however, aircraft designers preferred to abandon such a decision in favor of a lower price.
The aircraft Sud-Ouest Ariel is equipped with a power plant. Consisting of a single-piston aircraft engine brand Mathis G8, which has a traction power of 164 hp Thanks to the use of such a power plant, the Sud-Ouest Ariel helicopter can reach a maximum flight speed of 170 km \ h, and overcome distances at distances of up to 300 kilometers.
The following versions of aircraft are available:
- Sud-Ouest S.O. 1100 Ariel I – the basic prototype of the aircraft;
- Sud-Ouest S.O. 1110 Ariel II – An improved version with additional stabilizers located on the tail end;
- Sud-Ouest S.O. 1120 Ariel III – A modernized triple version of the helicopter.
- Crew: 1 person;
- Capacity: 1 person (depending on version);
- Length: 7.15 m. (Depending on version);
- Height: 3.24 m. (Depending on version);
- The diameter of the rotor: 10.8 m.;
- Empty helicopter mass: 725 kg. (Depending on version);
- Maximum take-off weight: 1080 kg .;
- Cruising speed: 150 km \ h. (Depending on version);
- Maximum flight speed: 170 km \ h.;
- Maximum flight range: 300 km .;
- Maximum flight height: 3660 m.;
- Powerplant: Mathis G8;
- Power: 164 HP