Silvercraft SH-4 is an Italian three-seat multipurpose helicopter, developed in 1963 by the aircraft manufacturer Silvercraft SpA.
The development of a multipurpose aircraft model Silvercraft SH-4 was carried out by Italian aircraft developers in 1960. The main purpose of the new aircraft was to be the civilian aviation sector, while it was not a question of any narrowly targeted use of the Silvercraft SH-4 helicopter since the model was supposed to provide the needs of private owners for transporting people and small cargoes, and be used in the agricultural sector, and used for surveillance and patrol work.
For three years of design, Silvercraft SpA aircraft manufacturers managed to create and successfully test a new model of the aircraft, thanks to which, already in 1963, this aircraft entered serial production, where it was located over a short period, however, fully justified the costs of Italian aircraft developers.
The Silvercraft SH-4 helicopter has a light and compact design, which makes it a very maneuverable and high-speed aircraft. Its functional use in the transportation of passengers and goods is minimal, however, the aircraft has been actively used for 40 years, which indicates its rather high prospects, which subsequently lost due to the emergence of new aircraft models.
Among other things, the Silvercraft SH-4 helicopter was also supposed to be used in the military sphere, however, several copies of this aircraft, aimed at testing in the Armed Forces of Italy, could not impress the military command, and therefore the model remained civilian.
Onboard an aircraft, depending on its modification, can accommodate up to three people, including one pilot and two passengers, which deprived the aircraft of the possibility of commercial operation. Despite this fact, the Silvercraft SH-4 helicopter was actively used for training in piloting skills for future pilots, for performing observation flights, but, of the modifications, it also began to be used in agriculture for processing fields and land.
The Silvercraft SH-4 model helicopter is equipped with a piston power plant, consisting of one Franklin 6A-350-D1B brand aircraft engine (the basic production version of the aircraft), which has a thrust of 235 hp When using this power plant, the helicopter can carry out flights at distances of up to 320 kilometers with a cruising speed of 120 km \ h.
There are four main options for the helicopter model Silvercraft SH-4:
- Silvercraft SH-4 – A standard production version of the aircraft;
- Silvercraft SH-4A – agricultural version of the helicopter, capable of transporting only one person on board;
- Silvercraft SH-4L – an analog of the version of Silvercraft SH-4, equipped with a Lycoming brand engine;
- Silvercraft SH-4T – Modification equipped with a turbine.
- Crew: 1 person;
- Capacity: 2 people (depending on version);
- Length: 7.65 m. (Depending on version);
- Height: 2.98 m.;
- The diameter of the rotor: 9.02 m. (Depending on version);
- Empty helicopter mass: 518 kg. (Depending on version);
- Maximum take-off weight: 862 kg. (Depending on version);
- Cruising speed: 120 km \ h. (Depending on version);
- Maximum flight speed: 160 km \ h. (Depending on version);
- Maximum flight range: 320 km .;
- Maximum flight height: 4600 m.;
- Powerplant: Franklin 6A-350-D1B (depending on the version);
- Power: 235 hp (Depending on version).