Sikorsky S-61R is an American multi-purpose transport helicopter developed in 1959 by the aircraft manufacturer Sikorsky Aircraft Corporation.
The helicopter model Sikorsky S-61R began to be developed by American aircraft engineers in 1957, while the design of the aircraft was carried out based on the helicopter Sikorsky SH-3 Sea King, and the development of two projects was carried out simultaneously, which allowed creating two full-fledged aircraft that can be used for a variety of purposes.
The external resemblance between the helicopters Sikorsky S-61R and Sikorsky SH-3 Sea King is present, however, in terms of operational capabilities and flight performance, aircraft radically differ from each other. If the Sikorsky SH-3 Sea king model was used exclusively in the military sphere, then the Sikorsky S-61R helicopter began to be used in both the military and civilian spheres, which expanded its functionality.
The Sikorsky S-61R aircraft made its first flight in 1959, however, it took the aircraft developers about another year to improve the design of the aircraft, and about six months to launch the project in serial production, as a result, the official release of aircraft of this model began only in the 1961 year.
The main purpose of the helicopter of the Sikorsky S-61R model is to transport various types of cargo on board, and, in this regard, the helicopter has found widespread use both in the armed forces of several countries, including the United States and in the civilian aviation industry. Among other things, the Sikorsky S-61R helicopter is also used for search and rescue operations, which is facilitated by its high load capacity and long flight range.
Due to the rather large dimensions, the Sikorsky S-61R helicopter has low maneuverability, however, despite this fact, it can fly at very high speeds.
Onboard a helicopter model Sikorsky S-61R can accommodate up to 3950 kilograms of payload, however, this aircraft can also carry people – on board can accommodate 31 people, including three crew members and 28 passengers (military personnel or auxiliary crew members). In the military sphere of its operation, the Sikorsky S-61R helicopter will also be used to transport a large number of armed soldiers or ammunition on board.
The power plant of the Sikorsky S-61R helicopter consists of two General Electric T58-10 gas turbine aircraft engines, each of which has a thrust of 1,500 hp, which in turn gives the aircraft a high load capacity and provides it with a high flight speed of up to 265 km \ h. The maximum flight range of this aircraft is 1250 kilometers, which is a satisfactory indicator.
- Sikorsky S-61R – the basic production version of the American transport helicopter;
- Sikorsky HR3 S-1 – a design option for the US Marine Corps;
- Sikorsky S-61R-10 – an experimental version of the helicopter;
- Sikorsky S-61R -12 – modification designed for the needs of the Argentine Air Force;
- Sikorsky CH-3C – modification with increased flight range;
- Sikorsky CH-3E – An improved version of the helicopter version Sikorsky CH-3E;
- Sikorsky HH-3E Jolly Green Giant – An upgraded version used by the US Air Force for search and rescue operations;
- Sikorsky MH-3E – modification for special operations related to the landing of military personnel;
- Sikorsky VH-3E – VIP version of the aircraft;
- Sikorsky HH-3F Pelican – A variant of the search and rescue helicopter used by the US Coast Guard;
- Sikorsky AS-61R – an analog of the helicopter version Sikorsky HH-3F Pelican.
The production of Sikorsky S-61R helicopters was officially discontinued in the 70s of the last century, however, these aircraft continue to be operated at the present time.
- Crew: 3 people;
- Capacity: 28 people (depending on version);
- Length: 22.3 m. (Depending on version);
- Helicopter: 5.51 m. (Depending on version);
- The diameter of the rotor: 18.9 m. (Depending on version);
- Empty helicopter mass: 6050 kg. (Depending on version);
- Maximum take-off weight: 10000 kg .;
- Cruising speed: 240 km \ h.;
- Maximum flight speed: 265 km \ h.;
- Maximum flight range: 1250 km. (Depending on version);
- Maximum flight height: 6400 m. (Depending on version);
- Powerplant: 2 × General Electric T58-10 (Depending on version);
- Power: 2 × 1500 hp (Depending on version).