Sikorsky HH-52 Seaguard is an American multi-purpose amphibious helicopter, developed in 1959 by the aircraft manufacturer Sikorsky Aircraft.
The first work on the design of a multi-purpose aircraft model Sikorsky HH-52 Seaguard began in the mid-50s of the last century. The new helicopter project was intended for use by the US Coast Guard, however, the helicopter’s promising potential also allowed its use in the naval forces of this country, as well as in the field of civil aviation, which in fact guaranteed the aircraft high demand.
The first test tests of the Sikorsky HH-52 Seaguard helicopter were carried out in 1959, however, initially, the project was sent for additional refinement and optimization, and the actual production of helicopters of this model began only in 1961.
One of the most important advantages of aircraft of the Sikorsky HH-52 Seaguard model is their ability to land on water, which in some cases is irreplaceable, especially because the current model is in demand among the coast guard of many countries. Also, the aircraft Sikorsky HH-52 Seaguard has a sufficiently large range of its flight and allows you to carry onboard up to 1460 kilograms of payload.
Among other things, helicopters of the Sikorsky HH-52 Seaguard model are also used as vehicles, as patrol aircraft, and are also used for search and rescue operations.
The Sikorsky HH-52 Seaguard helicopter, as such, is not used to transport people on its board, however, if necessary, it can accommodate up to 12 people, including 3 crew members and 9 passengers. The aircraft is also suitable for transporting small cargoes on board, the only condition for which is compliance with the regulations for not exceeding the maximum take-off weight of an aircraft of 3,764 kilograms.
The Sikorsky HH-52 Seaguard aircraft, also known as the Sikorsky S-62 Seaguard, is equipped with a gas turbine power plant consisting of a single General Electric T58-GE-8 aircraft engine with a power of 1250 hp. When using this aircraft engine, the Sikorsky HH-52 Seaguard helicopter can accelerate to a maximum speed of 175 km / h, which is one of the negative aspects of the operation of this aircraft. Nevertheless, depending on the modification, the helicopter can also be equipped with other power plants, which in some cases affects the speed characteristics of the aircraft.
According to data for 2015, 175 aircraft of this model were built by American aircraft manufacturers.
- Sikorsky S-62 Seaguard – the basic prototype of the aircraft;
- Sikorsky S-62A Seaguard is a production version of a transport helicopter equipped with a power plant of the brand General Electric CT58-110-1. Improved layout, allows the transport of 11 passengers;
- Sikorsky S-62B Seaguard – A modernized version of the aircraft, equipped with a modified rotor;
- Sikorsky S-62C Seaguard – an analog of the Sikorsky HH-52A Seaguard version;
- Sikorsky S-62J Seaguard – version licensed in Japan;
- Sikorsky HU2S-1G – an analogue of the Sikorsky HH-52A Seaguard version;
- Sikorsky HH-52A Seaguard – search and rescue version of the aircraft.
- Crew: 3 people (depending on version);
- Capacity: 8 people (depending on version);
- The length of the helicopter: 13.58 m.;
- The height of the helicopter: 4,88 m.;
- The diameter of the rotor: 16.16 m. (Depending on version);
- The mass of the empty helicopter: 2306 kg. (Depending on version);
- Maximum take-off weight: 3764 kg. (Depending on version);
- Cruising speed: 160 km \ h. (Depending on version);
- Maximum flight speed: 175 km \ h. (Depending on version);
- Maximum flight range: 765 km. (Depending on version);
- Maximum flight height: 3410 m.;
- Powerplant: General Electric T58-GE-8 (Depending on version);
- Power: 1250 hp (Depending on version).