Sikorsky CH-53E Super Stallion is a heavy military helicopter developed by Sikorsky Aircraft in 1974 by order of the United States Air Force.
The first development of the military helicopter project Sikorsky CH-53E Super Stallion began by American aircraft manufacturers in 1971, while its appearance, the aircraft has almost 100% similarity with the helicopter model Sikorsky MH-53 Pave Low, but in-flight technology, this version is more efficient.
To ensure higher load capacity and capacity, the length of the Sikorsky CH-53E Super Stallion helicopter was further increased by American aircraft manufacturers, which in turn increased the operational capabilities of this aircraft, although, to a greater extent, the helicopter was still used as a transport aircraft, and as a search and rescue aircraft. Also, since the helicopter has a relatively large amount of free space on board, it can carry out the transportation of large enough groups of landing units, and in fact, can be used as an evacuation air vehicle.
To participate in open combat, the helicopter model Sikorsky CH-53E Super Stallion is not used due to the lack of sufficiently powerful weapons. If necessary, the helicopter can be equipped with two heavy machine guns to provide air cover and destroy lightly armored enemy equipment, however, due to its very large overall dimensions, it is also a clear target.
Depending on the modification, the Sikorsky CH-53E Super Stallion helicopter can carry from 37 to 55 people on board, and, if necessary, the helicopter can also carry all kinds of cargo on board, both in the interior and with external fastening, which is often used to evacuate damaged equipment from the combat zone. The maximum carrying capacity of this aircraft is more than 18 thousand kilograms, which in turn provides ample opportunities for operating this model.
The power plant of the Sikorsky CH-53E Super Stallion helicopter consists, depending on the modification, of either two or three turboshaft engines of the General Electric T64-GE-416 / 416A version, each of which is capable of developing power up to 4380 hp, which and is the main consequence of the high carrying capacity of this aircraft. The speed of the Sikorsky CH-53E Super Stallion helicopter is also very acceptable, and depending on the number of engines used and their total power, it can reach 328 km \ h. The flight range of this aircraft is about 1 thousand kilometers, while without load, a helicopter can cover distances of up to 1835 kilometers.
- Sikorsky YCH-53E – a prototype helicopter equipped with two turboshaft engines;
- Sikorsky CH-53E Super Stallion – The basic production version of the aircraft used by the Navy and US Air Force;
- Sikorsky MH-53E Sea Dragon – a modified version developed by order of the US Navy;
- Sikorsky VH-53F – a design version of the presidential helicopter;
- Sikorsky S-80E Super Stallion – export version of the helicopter;
- Sikorsky S-80M Super Stallion – Export version shipped to Japan.
- Crew: 5 people (depending on version);
- Capacity: 55 people (depending on version);
- Length: 30.2 m. (Depending on version);
- Height: 8.46 m.;
- The diameter of the rotor: 24 m. (Depending on version);
- The mass of the empty helicopter: 15071 kg. (Depending on version);
- Maximum take-off weight: 33300 kg. (Depending on version);
- Cruising speed: 285 km \ h. (Depending on version);
- Maximum flight speed: 328 km \ h. (Depending on version);
- Maximum flight range: 1000 km .;
- Maximum flight height: 5640 m.;
- Powerplant: 3 × General Electric T64-GE-416 / 416A (depending on version);
- Power: 3 × 4380 hp (Depending on version).