Sikorsky CH-124 Sea King is a military anti-submarine helicopter developed by aircraft designers of Sikorsky Aircraft in 1963.
The beginning of the development of the Sikorsky CH-124 Sea King anti-submarine helicopter was initiated by the military command of the US Navy in the late 50s of the last century, while the detection and destruction of enemy submarines should not be the only purpose of operating a helicopter of this model, in particular, among other things, the helicopter was also to be used for transporting people or goods, performing search and rescue operations, etc.
The Sikorsky CH-124 Sea King helicopter model was first introduced in 1963, and it immediately went into service with the U.S. Navy, which was mainly due to the great demand for aircraft of this type, and although the production of helicopters was not massive, the current model continues to operate to this day, despite the availability of modern analogs.
The main weapons of the Sikorsky CH-124 Sea King helicopter are anti-submarine torpedoes, the destruction efficiency of which is quite high. Among other things, a large-caliber machine gun can also be armed with a helicopter, but given the actual purpose of the aircraft, this weapon is more likely to be defensive.
Depending on the modification of the aircraft, it can accommodate up to 10 people, including four crew members and six passengers, which can be equipped with military personnel. If necessary, the helicopter can also carry on its board a certain amount of payload, in particular, we are talking about 4618 kilograms (taking into account the own weight of the weapons installed onboard the aircraft).
Here, two General Electric T58-GE-8F / -100 turboshaft aircraft engines are used here, each of which has its power of 1,500 hp, which allows the helicopter to reach a maximum flight speed of 270 km \ h., With the possibility of unhindered Bridging distance up to 1 thousand kilometers.
- Sikorsky CH-124 Sea King – the basic production version of the helicopter;
- Sikorsky CH-124A Sea King – An improved version of the helicopter with an advanced avionics system;
- Sikorsky CH-124B Sea King – A modified version of the Sikorsky CH-124A Sea King version, using a deep-sea radar;
- Sikorsky CH-124B2 Sea King – An improved version of Sikorsky CH-124B Sea King;
- Sikorsky CH-124C Sea King – A modified version developed for the Canadian Navy;
- Sikorsky CH-124U Sea King – cargo-transport version of the helicopter.
- Crew: 4 people (depending on version);
- Capacity: 6 people (depending on version);
- Length: 16.7 m. (Depending on version);
- Height: 5.14 m.;
- The diameter of the rotor: 19 m. (Depending on version);
- The mass of the empty helicopter: 5382 kg. (Depending on version);
- Maximum takeoff weight: 10,000 kg. (Depending on version);
- Cruising speed: 270 km \ h.;
- Maximum flight speed: 295 km \ h.;
- Maximum flight range: 1000 km .;
- Maximum flight height: 4480 m.;
- Powerplant: 2 × General Electric T58-GE-8F / -100;
- Power: 2 × 1500 hp