Mi-35 is a highly qualified modernization of the most famous Soviet combat helicopter Mi-24 or Crocodile. For this period, it is produced directly for the Russian Air Force and export to foreign countries. This aerial vehicle is used to destroy enemy tanks and armored vehicles, and it also assists infantry and landing troops (fire support and removal of the wounded). Less efficient use of the helicopter is associated with the transport of goods and various materials. Production is assigned to Rostvertol OJSC in the Rostov Region. The Ministry of Defense of the Russian Federation ordered 22 helicopters of this brand. In the 12th year, there were 12 of them. Later, the contract was renegotiated to 27. The same helicopter is delivered to Venezuela, Brazil, and Azerbaijan.
The upgraded Mi-35 is a multi-purpose attack helicopter. He can perform complex tasks in all weather conditions. At the forefront of armament are the GST-23L double-barreled artillery mount (23 mm caliber), Sturm missiles (anti-tank).
Shortened wings and lightened landing gears (cannot be removed) positively reduced the weight of the helicopter. And thanks to the X-shaped tail rotor improved handling and reduced noise.
High-precision hits were ensured thanks to the sighting and surveillance system OPS-24N. The helicopter can perform operations at night (OPS-24N combined with avionics). This effect is enhanced by the installed TV system. The satellite navigation system and on-board computer allow you to calculate the route 2 times faster.
There are four ways to use the Mi-35: military, landing, cargo, and sanitary. The military provides fire support and makes independent operations. The landing version of the helicopter is capable of transporting paratroopers in full ammunition, cargo – ammunition, or other cargo weighing up to one and a half tons, and thanks to external suspension the transported tonnage can grow up to 2400 kg. The sanitary option provides transportation of two bedridden and two sedentary people, including a medical worker.
This aircraft was created based on the Mi-24 for improved combat performance, regardless of weather and time of day. Thanks to the tests, it was decided to install high-precision weapons on the helicopter, which allowed for more complex operations. Also, round-the-clock combat missions, this helicopter was enabled by mounted GOES-342 (gyro-stabilized optical-electronic station), OPS-24N, PrVK-24 (sighting, computing complex), KNEI-24 (electronic indication and navigation complex) and special lighting equipment.
NVG, or night vision goggles, led to a special adaptation of the external and internal lighting equipment. They operate in the range of 640–900 nm. Night vision devices are responsible for night piloting at altitudes from 50 to 200 meters, target detection, help to take off and land, climb and rotate, allow search and rescue operations.
The nose of the helicopter is armed with NPPU-23 (GST-23L double-barreled gun). Among other things, there are several weapons options for the Mi-35:
- ATGMs (“Attack-M” and “Sturm-V” up to eight pieces);
- from two to four blocks B8V20-A with NAR type S-8;
- cannon weapons of the suspended type GSH-23L.
An updated carrier system has improved flight performance. It includes an updated main rotor (improved aerodynamic profile) with blades made of composite materials. Lightweight blades increase the technical resource. For the first time on this type of helicopter, a new rotor propeller hub with elastomeric joints was used (they do not require lubrication). The main parts are made of titanium alloys.
High maneuverability, combat survivability, and low acoustic visibility are provided by the new carrier system. Even if a projectile of caliber up to 30 mm gets into the blades, the performance of the helicopter will not decrease. Both screws provide their blades with an anti-icing system.
Thanks to the VK-2500-02 engines, power has increased. This engine was developed based on the TV3-117. New engines made it possible to use the helicopter in the mountains and at high temperatures. In the design itself, the creators used universal heat-resistant materials, reinforced the compressor disk and electronic-mechanical engine control systems. Due to this, the turbocompressor speed increased one and a half times.
Although the wings were shortened, this in no way affected the functionality. Thanks to the DBZ-UV holder, the APU-8/4-U launcher is installed on the wing, on which guided missiles are placed. The same holders provided fastening, lifting of various loads.
The new take-off and landing device allows you to change the clearance, fly the car while on the ground, and not feel the load when taking off or landing. The fixed gear is not only lightweight but also allows for relatively safe flight at a short distance from the ground.
Modernization of the “Crocodile” occurred in 1999. The employees of Rostvertol were engaged in it. The result was precisely the Mi-35 – an air combat vehicle for performing complex operations and supporting infantry. Thanks to the installed innovative television surveillance systems (IRTV-445MGH), the helicopter can track and detect hidden objects at a distance of four kilometers.
The GPS115LGarmin system with the VPS-200 interface is responsible for determining coordinates, navigation parameters, and displaying data on the screen.
- Mi-35 – is an export helicopter based on Mi-24V. In the technique, the aiming system ASP-17V and the engines manufactured by Motor Sich – Klimov TVZ-117V were changed.
- Mi-35P is an export model of the previously created Mi-24P. The supporting system, three-blade tail rotor, a long wing, and retractable landing gear are typical of the Mi-24P. Of the weapons, there is a fixed cannon mount, on which a GST-30K double-barreled gun (caliber 30 mm) was installed.
- Mi-35PN – the same Mi-35P, with additions for performing combat missions at night. Mounted system “Glow” – night television sighting type. The crew is equipped with specialized night vision goggles (NVG).
- Mi-35 PM is a doublet version of Mi-35P with new X-shaped steering and rotor with blades made of composite materials.
- Mi-35M – is equipped with a fixed gear that protects the helicopter in the event of a fall (absorbs part of the impact on itself), the OPS-24N, and its inherent gyro-stabilized optoelectronic system GOES-324, a laser range finder, a shortened wing, and VK-2500 Klimov engines.
This aircraft military vehicle is in service with Russia (24 Mi-35Ms and an order for 49 helicopters have been completed), Azerbaijan (16 Mi-35Ms and an order for 24 helicopters of the same marking), Venezuela (10 Mi-35M2), Indonesia (seven representatives of the marking P), Myanmar (50 Mi-P available), Peru (two Mi-35P helicopters and a contract was signed for two more Mi-35P), Afghanistan (9 Mi-35 helicopters).
Currently is used for military purposes in Iraq.
- Crew: 2 (pilot and weapons operator)
- Passenger: up to 8 soldiers or 2 stretchers with a seriously injured person and a paramedic
- Payload: 2400 kg
- Fuselage Length: 17.51 m
- Rotor diameter: 17.3 m
- Tail rotor diameter: 3.91 m
- Maximum fuselage width: 1.7 m (6.66 m with docked wing consoles)
- Height: 3.97 m (with tail rotor)
- Rotor swept area: m²
- Base chassis: 4.39 m
- Track: 3.03 m
- Empty weight: 8620 kg
- Normal take-off weight: 11,200 kg
- Maximum take-off weight: 11,500 kg
- Fuel mass in internal tanks: 1500 kg + optionally 1000 kg
- The volume of fuel tanks: n / a (+ 4 x 500 l in PTB)
- Powerplant: 2 × turboprop Klimov TV3-117VMA manufactured by Motor Sich
- Engine power: 2 × 2200 l. with. (takeoff)