The MD-88 is a mid-range passenger aircraft developed by the American company McDonnell Douglas. Meeting the wishes of customers who wished to have MD-80 aircraft with modern digital navigation and navigation systems, McDonnell Douglas announced in January 1986 their intention to create a modification of the MD-88 equipped with such a system.
Similar to the MD-82, the new airliner was equipped with JT8D-219 engines with a thrust of 94.5 kN and was distinguished by a pilot cockpit equipped with electronic indicators, as well as the presence of a flight control system (FMS), an inertial measuring system (IRS) and a system for determining wind shear in the base complete set. Also, composite materials found wider application in the aircraft’s design, and the cabin for 142 passengers – five in a row – was significantly improved (the width of the aisle was increased, new luggage racks in the cabin were installed).
The first customer was Delta Air Lines, which placed an order for 80 aircraft. The first flight of the MD-88 aircraft took place on August 15, 1987, at the beginning of December it was certified, and in mid-December, deliveries began. Subsequently, part of the MD-82 aircraft owned by Delta Air Lines was converted to the MD-88 version.
The aircraft is equipped with a digital avionics complex EFIS with six color multifunction displays. The aircraft is also equipped with a wind shear warning system. 2 Pratt & Whitney JT8D-217С turbojet engines (9455 kgs thrust) were installed. This modification has been produced since 1987. By the beginning of 1996, 150 aircraft were built.
- Modification: MD-88
- Wingspan, m: 32.87
- Length of aircraft, m: 45.06
- The height of the aircraft, m: 9.04
- Wing Area, m2: 112.30
- Weight kg: empty loaded aircraft 35900; maximum take-off 67600
- Fuel, l: 21840
- Engine type: 2 turbojet engine Pratt Whitney JT8D-217С
- Thrust, kgs: 2 x 9455
- Maximum speed, km / h: 920
- Cruising speed, km / h: 872
- Economic speed, km / h: 810
- Practical range, km: 3800
- Flight range with max. loading, km: 3100
- Practical ceiling, m: 10670
- Crew: 2
- Payload: 135 passengers in the cabin of two classes or 155 passengers in the economy class or 172 passengers – maximum or 19700 kg of cargo.