MBB / Kawasaki BK-117 – multi-purpose helicopter, which is intended for the transport of goods and passengers. Able to perform various tasks – from the evacuation of the wounded and sick to participating in anti-terrorist operations. With special equipment and weapons installed, the helicopter can be used for surveillance and reconnaissance, tank combat, and fire support of troops.
The helicopter was designed in the second half of the 1970s by the companies Kawasaki (Japan) and MBB (Germany), prototype helicopters were built both in Japan and in Germany. The first BK-117, manufactured in Germany, took off on 06/13/1979, and the first from Japan – 08/10/1979. Serial production has been carried out since 1981 in both countries.
BK-117 is structurally a continuation of the famous MB10 helicopter Bo105; when it was created, advanced technologies and constructive solutions were widely used, which had already well established and tested themselves at Bo105. He became popular especially after filming in the most expensive Austrian television series “Alpine patrol – every life is valued”.
- Length: 13.01m.
- Height: 3.85m (with rotating screws).
- Empty weight: 1764kg.
- Flight range with the highest load: 1900km.
- Engines: 2 × Turboshaft TurbomecaArriel1E2.
- Thrust: 2 × 738l. with. (2 × 550 kW).
- Amount of seats: 9.
- The diameter of the rotor: 11.0m.
- Tail rotor diameter: 1.96m.
- The area which is swept by the rotor: 95,03sq.m.
- Wing Profile: NACA23012 / 23010 (propeller blades).
- Track: 2.5m.
- Maximum take-off weight: 3350kg.
- with a load on the suspension: 3500kg.
- Weight in internal fuel tanks: 558kg.
- The volume of fuel tanks: 685l.
- Allowable maximum speed: 277km / h.
- The highest speed: 250km / h.
- Cruising speed: 235km / h.
- Practical range: 540km.
- Flight Duration: 2h50min.
- Practical ceiling: 5480m.
- Static ceiling:
- without applying the effect of the earth: 3520m.
- using the effect of the earth: 3690m.
- Rate of climb: 10.9m / s.
- Disk load: 35.25 kg / sq.m.
- with a load on the suspension: 36.8 kg./sq.m.
- Thrust-weight ratio: 219.8W / kg.
- with a load on the suspension: 210.1 W / kg.