KAI KUH-1 Surion is a multi-purpose helicopter developed in 2010 by the joint efforts of aircraft builders from Korea Aerospace Industries and Airbus Helicopters.
The aircraft model KAI KUH-1 Surion began to be developed by Korean aircraft manufacturers in 2006, however, since the aircraft developers did not have sufficient experience in designing multipurpose rotary-wing aircraft, the project began to be carried out jointly with the French aircraft manufacturer Airbus Helicopters.
Korean aircraft manufacturers have invested $ 1.2 billion in the development of the KAI KUH-1 Surion aircraft, while the aircraft is not much different from the current American and French helicopters. Nevertheless, the project of this model gained very great popularity, and in just 2 years of production, the Korean company Korea Aerospace Industries managed to sell 40 aircraft, while for the full payback of the development it was necessary to build at least 120 aircraft ( taking into account their current value).
The KAI KUH-1 Surion helicopter was first tested in 2010, however, since the project required minor modifications, the current model entered the real production only in 2013, where it continues to be today.
The KAI KUH-1 Surion aircraft has a multi-purpose field of application, in particular, it is used in both the civilian and military spheres of aviation. The Armed Forces of the Republic of Korea use the KAI KUH-1 Surion helicopter to carry armed soldiers and various cargoes on board, while in the civilian sphere, the helicopter is operated as police aircraft, as passenger and cargo vehicles.
Onboard the helicopter KAI KUH-1 Surion can accommodate up to 18 people, including in addition to passengers or soldiers, also two crew members. The practical carrying capacity of this aircraft is 3,750 kilograms, which makes the aircraft acceptable as a vehicle.
The military version of this aircraft can be equipped with weapons consisting of several sets of missiles used mainly against enemy armored vehicles.
The power plant of the KAI KUH-1 Surion helicopter consists of two gas turbine aircraft engines of the brand Samsung Techwin T700-ST-701K or Samsung Techwin T700-ST-701C, each of which has a thrust of 1650 hp, which provides the aircraft with maximum speed up to 310 km \ h., with the possibility of flights at distances up to 500 kilometers.
- KAI KUH-1 Surion – the basic production version of the military purpose;
- KAI KUH-Medevac – medical emergency version of the helicopter;
- KAI KUH-Amphibious – An upgraded version of the KAI KUH-1 Surion version, capable of based on water bodies;
- KAI KUH-ASW – An improved version of the helicopter, developed by order of the Korean Navy;
- KAI KUH-1P Chamsuri – police version of the helicopter.
- Crew: 2 people;
- Capacity: 18 people (depending on version);
- Length: 19 m. (Depending on version);
- Height: 4,5 m. (Depending on version);
- The diameter of the rotor: 15.8 m. (Depending on version);
- The mass of the empty helicopter: 4973 kg. (Depending on version);
- Maximum take-off weight: 7348 kg. (Depending on version);
- Cruising speed: 260 km \ h. (Depending on version);
- Maximum flight speed: 310 km \ h. (Depending on version);
- Maximum flight range: 500 km .;
- Maximum flight height: 3050 m.;
- Powerplant: 2 × Samsung Techwin T700-ST-701K (depending on version);
- Power: 2 × 1650 hp