IAR 330 is a military multi-purpose helicopter developed by the Romanian aircraft manufacturer Industria Aeronautică Română in 1975.
The IAR 330 model helicopter was designed by aircraft manufacturers from the Romanian company Industria Aeronautică Română in the early 70s of the last century. As a basis, engineers and designers took the model of the French Aerospatiale Puma helicopter, which underwent several significant changes regarding both the external design and the technical part, in connection with which, this aircraft was maximally optimized for the needs of the Romanian Armed Forces, in connection with what became very popular and popular – the production of the IAR 330 helicopter continues to this day despite its more than 40-year history.
Romanian aircraft engineers were able to simplify the design of the helicopter, making it easier and reducing production costs, which allowed them to refuse to buy aircraft of this class from foreign manufacturers, and Romanian aircraft developers were even able to arrange the delivery of the IAR 330 model to other countries where this aircraft is promising was also appreciated.
Unlike the French model Aerospatiale Puma, the IAR 330 helicopter has higher maneuverability, which is quite an important property for a military aircraft, especially if it should also be used as an independent combat unit.
The first flight of the IAR 330 helicopter into the air took place in 1975, and since all test tests of this model were successful, the project was sent to mass production, where according to 2015 it continued to be.
The IAR 330 helicopter can be used for a wide variety of tasks, in particular, the model can be used to transport people on its board, to transport goods, as an independent combat unit, reconnaissance, and surveillance equipment.
Depending on the modification, up to 19 people can be accommodated in the cabin of the IAR 330 helicopter, including three crew members – two pilots and one operator responsible for the weapon systems, as well as 16 equipped military personnel. If necessary, an aircraft model IAR 330 can also carry a variety of cargoes on board, provided that the maximum take-off mass of the aircraft is not exceeded.
The IAR 330 helicopter can be equipped with the following weapons:
- 2 automatic 23 mm. aircraft guns;
- 2 machine guns of 7.62 mm caliber .;
- A set of unguided missiles;
- A set of anti-tank guided missiles;
- 4 aircraft bombs;
The power plant of the IAR 330 helicopter consists of two Turboméca Turmo IVC gas turbine aircraft engines, each of which has its thrust of 1,575 hp, which allows the aircraft to overcome distances at distances of 570 kilometers at a cruising speed of 270 km / h.
According to official data for 2010, Industria Aeronautică Română built 163 IAR 330 helicopters.
- IAR 330H – The basic production version of the aircraft;
- IAR 330L – An improved version of the IAR 330H, with a new gas turbine unit.
- IAR 330M – An upgraded version of the aircraft;
- IAR 330L SOCAT – shock version of the helicopter;
- IAR 330 NAVAL – A version of the IAR 330L SOCAT version, which is in service with the Romanian Navy;
- IAR 330L SM – An export version of a multi-purpose helicopter.
- Crew: 2-3 people (depending on version);
- Capacity: 16 people (depending on version);
- Length: 18.15 m. (Depending on version);
- Height: 5.14 m. (Depending on version);
- The diameter of the rotor: 15 m. (Depending on version);
- The mass of the empty helicopter: 3615 kg. (Depending on version);
- Maximum take-off weight: 7400 kg .;
- Cruising speed: 270 km \ h. (Depending on version);
- Maximum flight speed: 290 km \ h. (Depending on version);
- Maximum flight range: 570 km. (Depending on version);
- Maximum flight height: 6000 m.;
- Powerplant: 2 x Turboméca Turmo IVC (depending on version);
- Power: 2 x 1575 hp (Depending on version).