Bell AH-1 Cobra is an American combat helicopter developed in 1965 by the Bell Helicopter Aircraft Corporation.
The helicopter model Bell AH-1 Cobra began to be developed by American engineers in 1962, while the development of the military project was completed as soon as possible, and already in 1965, the first prototype of this screw combat vehicle made its test flight. Unfortunately for aircraft designers, the flight performance of the aircraft could not fully meet the expectations of the leadership of the aircraft manufacturing company, as a result of which the project was aimed at technical improvement, where he stayed for almost two years.
In 1967, the test tests of the Bell AH-1 Cobra combat helicopter were resumed, and this model entered mass production, where, thanks to its high combat characteristics, it continues to be located to this day.
The American combat helicopter has high potential, which ensures the high efficiency of the aircraft in the fight against various types of ground targets, whether it be the armed detachments of the enemy or lightly armored or armored vehicles. The firepower of a combat aircraft provides effective fire cover, and in fact, a helicopter can strike with high accuracy both at single targets and mass enemy groups.
The helicopter’s armament, depending on its modification, consists of two coaxial machine guns of a 7.62 mm caliber. to combat manpower and lightly armored enemy vehicles; two rocket launchers that provide fire cover from the air or strike means against enemy armored vehicles; one automatic aviation gun of 20 mm caliber. to combat lightly armored enemy vehicles or air means.
The helicopter crew consists of two people, including one pilot and one shooter, and, in the case of using rocket launchers and an automatic 20 mm. guns, the pilot himself can control the armament of the Bell AH-1 Cobra helicopter, while the shooter is required to control machine gun turrets. Due to the fact that the helicopter belongs to the class of military equipment, transportation of people and any cargo on board is not possible.
The propulsion system of the Bell AH-1 Cobra helicopter consists of one Lycoming T53-L-13 gas turbine engine (depending on the modification of the aircraft), capable of developing a thrust of 1100 hp, which provides the aircraft with a high flight speed, which is at its maximum about 350 km \ h. and allows you to overcome distances of 575 kilometers.
- Bell 209 – the basic prototype of an aircraft, first tested in 1965;
- Bell AH-1G HueyCobra – the production version of the aircraft;
- Bell JAH-1G HueyCobra – the prototype for testing various types of weapons;
- Bell TH-1G HueyCobra – a training version of the helicopter;
- Bell Z.14 HueyCobra – modification created by order of the Spanish Navy, used as a patrol means;
- Bell YAH-1Q – a special modification of the helicopter;
- Bell AH-1Q HueyCobra – A modernized version with an improved weapon system;
- Bell YAH-1R – An upgraded version of the Bell AH-1G HueyCobra helicopter;
- Bell YAH-1S – An improved version of the Bell YAH-1Q;
- Bell AH-1S – modification with an improved power plant, allowing you to develop traction in 1800 hp.;
- Bell QAH-1S – unmanned version of the aircraft;
- Bell AH-1P – a structurally optimized version of the helicopter, with enhanced armor and a number of improvements in technical specifications;
- Bell AH-1E – A modification of the Bell AH-1S version with improved weapons;
- Bell AH-1F – An improved version, equipped with modern avionics and a number of technical improvements;
- Bell 249 – an experimental version of the helicopter;
- Bell 309 KingCobra – an experimental all-weather version of a combat helicopter.
- Crew: 2 people (depending on configuration);
- The length of the helicopter: 16.2 m. (Depending on version);
- Helicopter height: 4.12 m. (Depending on version);
- The diameter of the rotor: 13.4 m. (Depending on version);
- The mass of the empty helicopter: 2630 kg. (Depending on version);
- Maximum takeoff weight: 4310 kg. (Depending on version);
- Cruising speed: 255 km \ h. (Depending on version);
- Maximum flight speed: 350 km \ h. (Depending on version);
- Maximum flight range: 575 km. (Depending on version);
- Maximum flight height: 3475 m.;
- Powerplant: Lycoming T53-L-13 (Depending on version);
- Power: 1100 hp (Depending on version).