Bell 214 – an American multi-purpose medium-capacity helicopter manufactured since 1970 by the aircraft manufacturer Bell Helicopter.
The design work began on the creation of the Bell 214 multi-purpose helicopter in 1968, while the helicopter initially assumed its multi-purpose purpose and, according to the calculations of American aircraft manufacturers, was to be operated not only in civilian but also in military aviation.
In 1970, this aircraft made its first flight, however, not having satisfied all the requirements, it was aimed at additional optimization of its design and technical characteristics. In fact, the Bell 214 model helicopter was introduced in 1972 and initially went into a military operation in the Iranian armed forces, where it was operated both as a transport aircraft and as a full-fledged combat aircraft capable of combating enemy armed forces and lightly armored vehicles.
The Bell 214 helicopter was able to prove itself very well, as a result of which its release lasted for 11 years – from 1970 to 1981, and at present, the helicopter continues to be actively used both for military and civilian purposes.
The Bell 214 helicopter can accommodate up to 16 people – as a rule, this is for military purposes (2 pilots and 14 armed and fully equipped paratroopers), however, civilian versions of this aircraft usually require only 8 people on board, including also two pilots. When the need arises, onboard the Bell 214 helicopter, the overall cargo can also be transported with a total weight of up to 2818 kilograms, which was also actively used to supply the armed forces with ammunition and ammunition.
As weapons, onboard a helicopter, as a rule, heavy heavy machine guns can be used, as well as sets of unguided missiles, which in turn allows you to operate this aircraft as a fire cover helicopter. Contrary to expectations, an automatic aircraft gun on board the helicopter was not provided, and therefore the effectiveness of the fight against armored vehicles is very small.
The power plant of the Bell 214 helicopter is represented by one Lycoming LTC4B-8D model turboprop aircraft engine, capable of developing a thrust of 2930 hp, which is one of the reasons for the rather high carrying capacity of this aircraft. The cruising speed of the Bell 214 model is also very acceptable, amounting to about 260 km \ h., With the maximum possible 305 km \ h. However, the helicopter flight range is very limited and is, depending on the modification, only about 475 kilometers, which with the release of more advanced models of helicopters led to the rejection of the purchase of this equipment.
- Bell 214 Huey Plus – the first prototype of a helicopter, flying in 1970;
- Bell 214A / C Isfahan – A special version of the aircraft developed by order of the armed forces of Iran;
- Bell 214B BigLifter – civilian cargo and passenger version of the helicopter;
- Bell 214B-1 – A modified version with increased load capacity.
- Crew: 2 people (depending on version);
- Capacity: 14 people (depending on version);
- The length of the helicopter: 14.64 m.;
- Helicopter height: 3.9 m.;
- The diameter of the rotor: 15.24 m.;
- The mass of the empty helicopter: 3442 kg. (Depending on version);
- Maximum take-off weight: 6260 kg. (Depending on version);
- Cruising speed: 260 km \ h. (Depending on version);
- Maximum flight speed: 305 km \ h. (Depending on version);
- Maximum flight range: 475 km. (Depending on version);
- Maximum flight height: 5000 m.;
- Powerplant: Lycoming LTC4B-8D (depending on the version);
- Power: 2930 HP (Depending on version).