Eurocopter Tiger – a French combat helicopter, developed by the engineers of the company Eurocopter Group, and manufactured since 1991.
The development of the Eurocopter Tiger military combat helicopter was initiated by the French and German military commands in 1984, and only after the validity of all decisions was made, in 1986, the first developments of this aircraft began.
The project of the future combat helicopter was created by German engineers with the support of French designers. At the same time, this aircraft made its first flight only in 1991, while it was officially presented only in 2003. Extensive developments were associated with some obstacles, in particular, at the first stages, aircraft manufacturers from the Eurocopter Group managed to create a military aircraft that was good in its combat qualities, however, its speed characteristics left much to be desired – the maximum flight speed varied within 195-198 km \ h., while the maximum flight range did not exceed 450 kilometers, which was not advisable.
Ultimately, the design of the Eurocopter Tiger combat helicopter was significantly optimized by successfully combining the combat parameters with the flight performance.
The Eurocopter Tiger helicopter has a variety of weapons that allow you to wage an effective battle with almost any ground targets, whether it be single-armed enemy units, or large units, including armored vehicles and tanks. It uses an automatic 30 mm. aircraft gun, guided and unguided missiles, means for combating air targets, including homing missiles, etc.
The power plant of the Eurocopter Tiger helicopter includes two MTU Turbomeca Rolls-Royce MTR390 turboshaft aircraft engines capable of developing a total capacity of 2610 hp, which in turn is a very significant indicator for a combat helicopter. The maximum flight speed of this military aircraft is 315 km \ h., While the helicopter itself can freely fly at distances up to 1300 kilometers (if there are additional fuel tanks).
- Eurocopter UH Tiger – a multi-purpose fire support helicopter developed by order of the German armed forces;
- Eurocopter Tiger HAP – multi-purpose attack helicopter, designed for the needs of the armed forces of France;
- Eurocopter Tiger HAD – A modified version with Enhanced MTR390 engines with a capacity of 1340 hp each;
- Eurocopter Tiger ARH – a special modification developed for the armed forces of Australia.
According to mid-2015, French aircraft manufacturers produced 232 helicopters of this model, while the demand for combat aircraft continues to grow even despite the relatively high cost of one unit.
- Crew: 2-3 people;
- Length: 14.08 m.;
- Height: 3.83 m.;
- The diameter of the rotor: 13 m.;
- Empty helicopter mass: 3060 kg. (Depending on version);
- Maximum take-off weight: 6000 kg. (Depending on version);
- Cruising speed: 270 km \ h. (Depending on version);
- Maximum flight speed: 315 km \ h. (Depending on version);
- Maximum flight range: 1300 km. (Depending on version);
- Maximum flight height: 4000 m.;
- Powerplant: 2 × MTU Turbomeca Rolls-Royce MTR390 (depending on the version);
- Power: 1305 HP (Depending on version).