Eurocopter HH-65 Dolphin is a twin-engine multi-purpose French helicopter developed by the aircraft manufacturer Eurocopter Group for the US Coast Guard.
The design of the Eurocopter HH-65 Dolphin helicopter was carried out by French design engineers based on a model of another helicopter – Eurocopter AS365 Dauphin, however, despite some external similarities in their purpose, as well as flight and technical characteristics, aircraft are very different. As a rule, the helicopter model Eurocopter HH-65 Dolphin is used exclusively for patrols, observation flights, and search and rescue operations. If necessary, this aircraft can be based both on land and on ships, which provides it with a wide range of different capabilities.
The first flight of this aircraft took place in 1980, however, the aircraft was initially technically imperfect, in connection with which it was sent for additional refinement, as a result of which it entered mass production only in 1985. Despite its more than 30-year history, the Eurocopter HH-65 Dolphin helicopter continues to be actively operated to this day.
The crew of the Eurocopter HH-65 Dolphin consists of two pilots and two additional officers, as a rule, performing a radar inspection of the area, and visual inspection. If the aircraft of this model is supposed to be used as a search and rescue helicopter, then onboard the aircraft can accommodate up to 6 people. Among other things, the Eurocopter HH-65 Dolphin helicopter can also be used as a transport aircraft, however, due to the limited flight range, an aircraft is used for such purposes quite rarely.
In most cases, the Eurocopter HH-65 Dolphin helicopter does not have weapons, however, if necessary, 7.62 mm can be used here. machine gun and rifle of 12.7 mm caliber., which, in essence, makes it possible to fire at the enemy.
The Eurocopter HH-65 Dolphin aircraft is equipped with two Turbomeca Arriel 2C2-CG turboshaft aircraft engines with a thrust of 850 hp. each (depending on the version), which in turn allows you to carry a large amount of payload on board, and travel at distances up to 658 kilometers with a maximum flight speed of 325 km \ h.
- Eurocopter HH-65A Dolphin – the basic production version of the helicopter, equipped with two aircraft engines LTS101-750B-2 with a capacity of 735 hp each;
- Eurocopter HH-65B Dolphin – A modified version, equipped with modern avionics, and some other technical innovations;
- Eurocopter HH-65C Dolphin – An improved version of the helicopter, equipped with Arriel 2C2-CG engines with a thrust of 935 hp each;
- Eurocopter MH-65C Dolphin – a special version of the helicopter, equipped with weapons;
- Eurocopter MH-65D Dolphin – version of 2011 with an updated navigation system, radar, etc. technical changes that do not affect flight parameters;
- Eurocopter MH-65E Dolphin – A modified version of the aircraft expected to be released in 2017.
- Crew: 2 people (depending on version);
- Capacity: 6 people (depending on version);
- Length: 11.6 m.;
- Height: 4 m.;
- The diameter of the rotor: 11.9 m.;
- The mass of the empty helicopter: 3128 kg. (Depending on version);
- Maximum takeoff weight: 4300 kg. (Depending on version);
- Cruising speed: 290 km \ h. (Depending on version);
- Maximum flight speed: 325 km \ h. (Depending on version);
- Maximum flight range: 658 km. (Depending on version);
- Maximum flight height: 5480 m.;
- Powerplant: 2 × Turbomeca Arriel 2C2-CG (Depending on version);
- Power: 855 hp (Depending on version).