The Bell 47J Ranger is a lightweight American multi-purpose helicopter designed in 1956 by the Bell Helicopter aircraft manufacturing company.
A multi-purpose aircraft began to be developed for the US Air Force in 1952, and even though this model of the helicopter was not a combat helicopter, the demand for the Bell 47J Ranger aircraft was very high, both in the United States and in other countries, which was explained by the possibility of multipurpose use of this rotorcraft.
Due to its compact size, the Bell 47J Ranger helicopter possessed not only high maneuverability and speed of movement but also, in fact, could be used for various missions, including in remote regions. The Bell 47J Ranger helicopter was used to transport military personnel on its board, to transport small-sized cargo, to carry out patrol and observation flights, etc. The high demand for this aircraft is proved by the fact that for a relatively short period, aircraft builders from the Bell Helicopter company built 361 aircraft, some of which continue to be used to this day despite more than 56 years of age.
The Bell 47J Ranger model made its first helicopter flight in 1956, however, 11 years after the start of production, the U.S. military refused to operate these aircraft due to the appearance of new models that are more reliable and more efficient in use. Nevertheless, in several countries, the helicopter of this model is still operated for the most various purposes indicated above.
In the cockpit of the Bell 47J Ranger model helicopter can accommodate up to four people, including one pilot and three military personnel. If necessary, two passenger seats can be dismantled, and the helicopter will be able to carry on its board any cargo with a total weight of up to 507 kilograms (taking into account the own weight of the people on board). Among other things, some modifications of this aircraft have paired control, which allows the use of these aircraft as training equipment.
The Bell 47J Ranger helicopter has one aircraft engine of the Lycoming VO-540-B1B model, capable of developing a thrust of 260 hp, which is quite acceptable for this model, providing a maximum flight speed of 170 km / h, with the possibility of overcoming distances of up to 415 kilometers.
- Bell 47J Ranger – the basic and main production version of the helicopter;
- Bell 47J-1 Ranger – military VIP-modification for the transport of high-ranking officers and command;
- Bell 47J-2 Ranger – modification equipped with an engine of the brand Lycoming VO-540-B1B (240 hp);
- Bell 47J-2A Ranger – a production version equipped with a Lycoming VO-540-B1B3 powerplant (260 hp);
- Bell 47J-3 – modification produced by the Italian company “Agusta-Bell”;
- Bell 47J-3B1 – An improved version of the Bell 47J-3;
- Bell 47K – a training modification developed by order of the US Navy;
- Bell HUL-1 – A modification designed for the US Navy;
- Bell HUL-1G – a special option for the US Coast Guard;
- Bell HUL-1M – A modernized version equipped with a YT-62-A-3 turboshaft aircraft engine (250 hp);
- Bell HUL-2 – a design version of a helicopter with a turboshaft power unit and a number of technical improvements;
- Bell HTL-7 – a training version of the aircraft;
- Bell UH-13J – special military modification of the aircraft;
- Bell UH-13P – a special option designed for the US Navy;
- Bell TH-13N – A modified version of the Bell HTL-7;
- Bell HH-13Q – An improved version of Bell HUL-1G;
- Bell UH-13R -an upgraded version of the Bell HUL-1M variant.
- Crew: 1 person;
- Capacity: 3 people;
- Length: 9.88 m. (Depending on version);
- Height: 2.83 m. (Depending on version);
- The diameter of the rotor: 11.34 m. (Depending on version);
- The mass of the empty helicopter: 831 kg. (Depending on version);
- Maximum take-off weight: 1338 kg. (Depending on version);
- Cruising speed: 170 km \ h. (Depending on version);
- Maximum flight speed: 150 km \ h. (Depending on version);
- Maximum flight range: 415 km .;
- Maximum flight height: 3350 m.;
- Powerplant: Lycoming VO-540-B1B (depending on version);
- Power: 160 HP (Depending on version).