Barcelona El Prat International Airport is the largest international air harbor in Catalonia and the second-largest passenger traffic in Spain. In 2017, Barcelona International Airport served 47 million 284 thousand passengers, while the main indicators of the air harbor have been growing steadily since 2010.
In 1916, an airfield appeared on the territory of the current Barcelona International Airport, which was mainly used to receive aircraft to transport goods and mail. As the demand for air travel grew, the air harbor expanded, and already in 1927, the first regular flights began to operate from the airport.
Initially, Barcelona Airport was used exclusively for organizing domestic flights, however, as the functionality of the air harbor expanded, and the length of the runways expanded and increased, already in 1948, the first international flights to New York began to be operated from the international airport, which led to a sharp increase in passenger traffic and affected the active development of the air harbor.
As air carriers showed interest in Barcelona International Airport, the route network of the air harbor increased, and already in 1963, the airport served its millionth passenger, after which the volume of passengers served steadily began to grow.
Thanks to the expansion of the international route network, already in 1977, the passenger flow of Barcelona Airport amounted to 5 million people per year, which required the improvement of the air harbor infrastructure, and also led to interest among private investors.
In 2008 and 2009, the volume of passengers transported by the airport sharply decreased, however, due to optimization of activities, the situation has been corrected since 2010, and if in 2010 the air harbor served only a little more than 29 million passengers, then in 2017 this figure increased to more than 47 million passengers.
Barcelona El Prat International Airport has three runways at its disposal, in particular:
- Asphalt runway with a length of 2530 meters and a width of 45 meters;
- Asphalt runway, 2660 meters long and 60 meters wide;
- A concrete runway with a length of 3350 meters and a width of 60 meters.
Due to this fact, the air harbor can serve class 1-4 aircraft, and due to the presence of helipads, the airport can also serve all helicopters without exception.
Due to the fact that the passenger traffic volume of Barcelona International Airport is growing steadily, in particular, in 2017 this figure was more than 47 million people, there is a well-developed infrastructure, in particular, passengers of the air harbor can find for themselves:
- Banks, ATMs, payment terminals, currency exchange points;
- Retail stores and shopping centers;
- Souvenir shops;
- Duty-free shops;
- Cafes, restaurants and catering places;
- Postal office;
- Room of mother and child;
- Places for packing and temporary storage of baggage;
- Car parking;
- The taxi rank and public transport;
- Train station;
- Car rental, etc.
Among other things, the hotel is also located on the territory of the airport, which allows you to get a temporary stay without any problems.
- Airport Country: Spain
- GMT time zone (summer / winter): + 2 / + 1.
- Latitude geographic 41.3, longitude geographic 2.08.
- The geographical location of the airport: 12 kilometers in the direction of the south-west of the city of Barcelona, province of Catalonia.
- Amount of airport terminals: 3.